Megyn Kelly and NBC have reached an exit agreement, nearly three months after the TV host made controversial comments on her morning show. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Megyn will be getting the remaining $69 million that was originally promised when she signed her three-year contract. She will also not be held to a non-compete contract, meaning she can begin working immediately.
In a statement, NBC said, “The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn is no longer an employee of NBC.”
Megyn Kelly’s replacements have been named. Just three months after the NBC show “Megyn Kelly Today” was cancelled, it was announced that Dylan Dreyer, Al Roker, Sheinelle Jones and Craig Melvin will be the new faces of the third hour of “Today.”
MEANWHILE—The “Today” show is also looking for a replacement for Kathie Lee Gifford, who plans to leave the fourth hour of the show in April. Rumors are that Jenna Bush Hager is in the running to be Hoda Kotb’s new co-host.
Megyn Kelly is gearing up for the Christmas season. She dished to DailyMail about her family’s traditions, and what gets her in the holiday spirit. Kelly says they watch It’s a Wonderful Life and get up early to videotape the kids opening gifts. She said she’d love to go caroling, but the husband and kids vetoed that idea. And she says the best gifts she’s ever gotten were Stretch Armstrong and Incredible Hulk dolls 35 years ago — that even a pony wouldn’t have made her happier!
Al Roker is defending his choice of Halloween costume, after the Megyn Kelly “blackface” fallout. The hosts of the “Today” show dressed up in 80’s inspired costumes on Wednesday for Halloween; Al was Doc Brown from “Back to the Future.” One Facebook follower of the show was confused on how Megyn lost her job for asking “a question about dressing as an admired character of color if you are of Caucasian background,” but Al dressed as a beloved character who happens to be Caucasian. Al replied to comment with a direct tweet:
“I’m going to say this one last time, but the folks who get it, understand and the ones who DON’T, won’t. I can be Doc Brown, and I wear the outfit and wig and not change my skin color if you’re white, you can be President Barack Obama if you want. Just don’t color your skin!”
Megyn Kelly is not letting NBC off the hook. The former host of “Megyn Kelly Today” told the network that she will not spill whatever info she has “on the network and people who work there,” but for a price. According to TMZ, NBC offered the 47-year-old $38 Million, which is what was left on her contract. The network also attached a confidentiality agreement to the contract, which Megyn’s lawyer said she would sign…for an additional $10 Million. NBC told the attorney to “pound sand.” Settlement negotiations are currently ongoing.
MEANWHILE — Megyn Kelly is protecting her kids from media attention during the media circus surrounding her NBC departure. She brought donuts to photographers waiting outside her New York digs, asking them to not take snaps of her kids while she takes them to school. Meanwhile, her husband, Douglas Brunt, was seen looking on from an apartment window. So far looks like the breakfast treats worked.
Al Roker may have had ulterior motives when it came to Megyn Kelly getting the boot. The 64-year-old was reportedly bitter when he was kicked out of his 9am time slot for Megyn’s new show on NBC. Since the backlash of Megyn’s blackface comment—which Al called her out for—her show has been cancelled and is being replaced by a show with existing NBC talent, such as Al. The Monday show was anchored by Al along with Hoda Kotb, who started out the show saying, “today begins a new chapter.”
MEANWHILE—Megyn Kelly’s exit deal with the network is still being negotiated. She is asking for $50 million.
It looks like Megyn Kelly’s NBC career is through. The former Fox News rising star made comments about “blackface” and politically incorrect Halloween costumes a couple days ago, which apparently sparked controversy. NBC said on Thursday it will air pre-recorded episodes of “Megyn Kelly Today” for the rest of the week instead of putting her on live. Meanwhile, Kelly left her talent agency and hired a top Hollywood lawyer. This all comes after she apologized on-air for the comments.
—“What is racist?…You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface for Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Like back when I was a kid it was okay if you were dressing up as a character.” -Kelly’s “offensive” comments
—“Megyn Kelly is done. She is not ever coming back…We are just working out timing of the announcement but mark my word – she is gone and will never be seen on NBC live again.” NBC executive in The Daily Mail